The Berlinische Galerie, or Berlin Gallery in English, was founded in 1975 to bring together fine art, photography and architecture. Originally located in a small office in the Charlottenburg neighborhood of Berlin, the museum found its current Modernist home in a former glass warehouse in 2004. The gallery focuses on local art, though it maintains an international scope.
The Berlin Gallery houses art from 1870 to the present in both permanent and special exhibitions. Some of the collections include Dada Berlin, New Objectivity and Eastern European Avant-garde, as well as art on a divided Berlin and the reunited city. Special exhibits include classic modern, contemporary and 1945 movement arts. Artists whose works have appeared at the Berlin Gallery include painters such as Max Liebermann and the Berlin secessionists, as well as expressionists Otto Dix, Georg Grosz and Hannah Höch. The gallery also hosts ongoing lectures, readings and film screenings.