The Brücke Museum in Berlin is dedicated to the work of the artist group Die Brücke (the Bridge) from 1905 to 1913. The group was formed in Dresden by four students, Ernst Ludwig Kirchner, Fritz Bleyl, Karl Schmidt-Rottluff and Erich Heckel, when its members started experimenting with abstract forms, bright color and perspective, breaking from the art of the academies and representing the beginning of German Expressionism. The museum houses around 400 paintings and thousands of drawings, water color paintings, original graphics, and wood carvings from this expressionist group. The museum also displays work by artists who were closely connected to the Brücke group.
One of the main principles of the Brücke movement was building a bridge to the surrounding nature. This principle is represented by the location of the museum surrounded by the pine and birch trees of the beautiful Grunewald forest just outside the southwest corner of the city. The building's simplistic style echos the art on display, and with less than 5,400 square feet of exhibition space, it is Berlin's smallest museum.