Georg Kolbe was the most successful German sculptor of the first half of the 20th century. His home and studio on the outskirts of West Berlin were turned into the Georg Kolbe Museum in 1950, three years after his death. The two buildings were built in 1928 and 19299 using elements of architectural modernism, and they are connected by a large garden with old pine trees. He chose to have his home and studio built here due to the natural setting and the proximity to the cemetery where his wife was buried.
Over 200 mostly bronze statues are on display at the museum. Most of the pieces on display at the museum were created by Kolbe himself, though there are a few pieces of art from his closest contemporaries. His work in the 1910s and 1920s was very reflective of the times. His sculptures came to represent freedom from the restrictive traditions of the Wilhelminian Period as well as the political and social upheavals of the time period.