With castles, dungeons, crypts, ghosts, and hidden underground vaults, Edinburgh is a haunting place on any day of the year. The spookiness spikes around Halloween, so here are some ways to scare yourself silly when visiting Edinburgh in October.
- Head underground to the network of Edinburgh Vaults that run beneath the city. It's said an entire community once thrived entirely under the streets, and that the vaults were used to store illicit goods—including the victims of serial killers Burke and Hare back in 1828.
- Come face-to-face with a Scottish cannibal when you skip the line at the Edinburgh Dungeon and learn about its blood-spattered past.
- Search for Scottish ghosts and ghouls on a bus that drives around the city with a creepy conductor recounting haunting tales of torture and pain.
- Take a nighttime walking tour and stroll the streets by the cover of darkness while hearing stories of treason and war that ended with brutal executions.
- Re-enact the scenes of murders that still are completely unsolved. Join in a guided theatrical tour where actors bring grisly scenes of blood and gore back to life.