With its strategic location at the meeting point of the Göta River and the Kattegat Sea, Gothenburg city has long been one of Sweden’s most important maritime centers. Today, Sweden’s second city is a major cruise port and a frequent inclusion on Scandinavian cruise itineraries, but boat tours are also a top choice for day-trippers.
- Explore the southern Archipelago of Gothenburg, a cluster of tranquil islands lying off the Kattegat Sea coast dotted with sandy beaches, traditional fishing villages, and scenic coastal walkways.
- Visit the 17th-century Alvsborg Fortress, dramatically situated at the mouth of the Göta River, not far from Lilla Bommen harbor.
- Combine a hop-on hop-off boat tour with a hop-on hop-off bus tour for the ultimate sea and land sightseeing tour.
- Check out Maritiman, a floating maritime museum.
- Get a taste of the local culture at the Feskekörka fish market.
- Enjoy a waterside perspective while cruising along Gothenburg's 17th-century canals and moats in a Paddan sightseeing boat.
- Among the Gothenburg sights to experience are the shopping district of Lejontrappan and the harbor of Lilla Bommen.