San Jerónimo Monastery, the first monastery to be built after the Christian conquest of Granada, was also the first church in the world consecrated to the Immaculate Conception of Mary. Construction on this Renaissance-style church began in 1496, but it was relocated in 1504 when many of the city's current buildings were under construction.
Aside from serving as the burial place for the Great Captain (Gonzalo Fernandez de Cordoba), a Spanish general who fought in both the Conquest of Granada and the Italian Wars, the monastery is known for housing one of the most exquisite Spanish Baroque sacristies in the world. Also notable is the inner courtyard full of orange trees and the elaborate, high altar, covered in depictions of saints, angels, and other historical and mythical figures. Be sure to check out the some 500 memorial stones for the monks that spent their lives here.