As the oldest of the Hawaiian Islands, Kauai is known for its rugged natural scenery and lush greenery from heavy rainfall. It also has Hawaii’s most navigable rivers, and thus offers the state's best kayaking. Here are the best kayak tour options on the island.
- Paddle down the Wailua River on a guided kayaking tour, surrounded by tropical rain forest, stopping at tall waterfalls (such as Uluwehi or Secret Falls) and natural pools along the way.
- Take a sea kayak to the open waters to see the stunning Na Pali Coast or access hard-to-reach coastal spots near Poipu on the south shore.
- Take a river kayak down the Hanalei River to reach Hanalei Bay, home to some of the most beautiful waters and sea life on Kauai's north shore, including Hawaiian sea turtles.
- Add a hiking tour or snorkel tour to your kayak adventure. The Huleia River is a great place to combine a few activities and learn about the history and culture of Kauai. If river kayaking is not your thing, you can also take in the sights from a motorized canoe.
- Participate in a variety of outdoor activities on land, river, or sea with a knowledgeable guide.