Even in the depths of winter, the sun shines in Melbourne. The season’s cooler temperatures and smaller crowds make sightseeing a breeze. Whether you want to attend a winter festival, hit the slopes, or cozy up in an atmospheric cafe, here’s how to experience Melbourne this winter.
- Shop for souvenirs or tuck into seasonal delicacies at the Queen Victoria Winter Night Market from June to August.
- Put your skating skills to the test at the open-air ice rink in Federation Square or tackle the Melbourne Ice Slide at the Eureka Skydeck.
- Stroll along the crowd-free sands of St. Kilda Beach, then sip a hot chocolate at a beachfront cafe.
- Soak up the atmosphere at a winter festival such as the Melbourne International Film Festival, the Light in Winter Festival, Open House Melbourne, Melbourne International Jazz Festival, or the St. Kilda’s Winter Garden.
- Enjoy the weekly fireworks displays in the Melbourne Docklands.
- Watch an Australian Football League (AFL) game at one of the city’s top stadiums or snag tickets for the grand final at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) in September.
- Get your powder fix skiing or snowboarding at the Mount Buller ski resort or take a snow day at Lake Mountain Alpine Resort.