The world might be watching the Sydney fireworks, but locals know that Melbourne is a top New Year’s Eve destination in Australia. With half a million people taking to the streets, Melbourne doesn’t disappoint, and the countdown is marked with fireworks, entertainment, and free events. Here’s how to celebrate.
- Make the most of the summer weather and join the all-night festivities along the Southbank, Alexandra Gardens, Federation Square, and Docklands.
- Set sail along the Yarra River for a Melbourne party cruise and enjoy a prime view of the spectacular fireworks.
- Gaze out over Melbourne’s glittering illuminations during a ride on the Melbourne Star Observation Wheel.
- Watch the New Year's Eve fireworks from city’s highest observation deck, the Eureka Skydeck—be sure to book your tickets well in advance.
- Watch the first sunrise of the New Year as you float over Melbourne in a hot air balloon ride.
- Party until dawn at one of Melbourne’s famous nightclubs, many of which host New Year's Eve parties.