Take a break from the beach on your Riviera Maya holiday to gain insight into the Maya, a pre-Columbian civilization that dominated the Yucatan Peninsula before the arrival of Spanish conquerors. Here are some ways to learn about Mayan culture.
- Visit the Mayan ruins of Chichen Itza, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of the largest and perhaps most mythical Maya cities.
- Experience the natural paradise that the Maya people once did at Xel-Ha, an eco-park built around a Maya site that highlights the Riviera’s lush landscape, cenotes, and lagoons.
- Learn about the importance of Tulum as a Maya port city, known for its prime perch on the turquoise waters of the Caribbean.
- Tour the archaeological ruins of Coba, where you can see the Yucatan area’s tallest pyramid and learn about Maya ceremonial traditions.
- Walk through the jungle to a replica Maya village at Xcaret, an eco-archaeological park with cultural activities including Maya dance performances and and traditional canoe journeys to Cozumel.