Mighty Mt. Etna, towering over the cities of Messina and Catania on Sicily’s east coast, is Europe’s highest active volcano and one of Italy’s most photographed natural wonders. Whether you want to get your adrenaline pumping or simply marvel at the views, here’s how to best explore Mt. Etna.
- Watch the spectacular sunset over the craters and lava caves of Mt. Etna (Mount Etna) on an evening tour.
- Soar overhead on a helicopter tour and enjoy unbeatable aerial views of Mt. Etna, the hilltop town of Taormina, and the Sicilian vineyards.
- Sample delicious Italian cuisine and Sicilian wines with an expert-led wine tasting in the Etna wine region.
- Ride the cable car to Torre del Filosofo and admire views over the Silvestri Craters and the Mt. Etna lava flows.
- Venture off-road with a local tour guide on a thrilling full- or half-day Mt. Etna Jeep tour or quad-bike excursion.
- Combine a full-day tour of Mt. Etna with nearby sights such as Randazzo, the Alcantara Gorges, or Rifugio Sapienza.
- Take a ride on the Circumetnea Railway and journey through picturesque vineyards and olive groves in the foothills of Mt. Etna.
- Learn more about Mt. Etna’s volcanic activity on a guided short hike or long trek through the magnificent Valle del Bove crater.