Think of Swiss food and you’ll probably picture dunking bread into a pot of gooey fondue or sliding a triangle of Toblerone from its ubiquitous Matterhorn–logoed box. Whether your tastes lean toward sweet or savory, Switzerland has both boxes ticked. Here’s how to sample the country’s most delicious cheeses and chocolates.
There are over 400 cheese varieties produced around Switzerland, with some of the most famous including Emmental (Emmentaler) and Gruyère, the principal cheeses used in fondue; Appenzeller, produced in the northern Appenzell region; and raclette, produced in the canton of Valais and the main ingredient in the traditional dish of the same name.
Those with a sweet tooth will also be spoiled for choice, as Switzerland is home to world-renowned chocolate brands like Lindt, Nestlé, and the aforementioned Toblerone, as well as dozens of artisan chocolate makers.
- Take a day trip to Gruyères and discover the secrets of cheesemaking on a tour of La Maison du Gruyère cheese factory.
- Sample handmade chocolates during a visit to the Maison Cailler chocolate factory.
- Tuck into a delicious cheese fondue dinner overlooking Lake Zurich.
- Indulge in handmade truffles, hot chocolate, and chocolate cupcakes on a chocolate-themed walking tour of Zurich’s Old Town, including the Lindt & Sprüngli chocolate shop.
- Enjoy a Swiss Chocolate Adventure, a guided cheese tasting, or a ride on the Golden Panoramic Train in Lucerne.